At work yesterday, I was sitting by a patient as we waited for his mouth to get numb. The doctor left the room to attend to something else for a moment, so it was just me and the patient in the room. So we start to talk, and he asks me if I'm going to school and if I wanted to become a dentist. I told him I did want to become a dental hygienist at some point, but I've had some life plan changes, and I went into what I want to do and how I want to travel for the rest of my life and how teaching will give me that opportunity. He agreed that it was a cool thing to do, but then he said something about how I should go somewhere where I can make a lot of money and come back to America and buy a house.
So, I went into my whole spiel about how Americans just work and work and work and hardly get any time off. By the time they can get time off (retire) they're too old to really enjoy life and a lot of things. Americans work their life away... and for what?? That big screen t.v. That new Escalade with the 20's. The mortgage they have to pay off for 30 years and are tied down to? It's ridiculous. Why not be able to enjoy life NOW? I don't want to stay stagnant in one place for too long. I want to experience other cultures, meet people from EVERYWHERE. That, to me, is what living is- not working a 9 to 5 that I hate, driving to work in my $40,000 car, just to come to a home, put my feet up for a few hours, go to bed, wake up and do it all over again. When you get to sit down and think about, life has passed you by. I don't want the "American Dream." It's not for me... a house, a car... meaningless objects. I want my life to be worth something more than that.
My only thing now is finding a guy with the same life perspective and goals. I was telling my brother my whole spiel one day... then he asked, "but what if you find this guy, let's say in Utah, and he's perfect, but he doesn't want to travel like you do?" I had to contemplate for a minute... then I told him he better be God or be so perfect that he can change my mind. Good luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment