I am changing my major from Linguistics to English Language. There is a slight difference between the two. They're actually both in the same department because they are so similar.
There's a common misconception about linguistics. Most people think it's the study of languages, just becoming fluent in different languages. When I'm asked what I'm majoring in and I tell them, 97% of the time they then ask "Oh, so what languages do you speak?"
Although linguists often are fluent in other languages, linguistics is not the study of languages. Linguistics is more scientifical. Linguistics is the study of language in all aspects, and in all languages. You study speech sounds to sentence formations to meanings. You learn about language acquisition and how language is used in social settings, etc etc. You learn about semantics, phonetics, phonology, syntax, etc etc.
English Language is more of the same, except you focus more on the language of English. That's the main difference. (Rather than all languages, we just focus on English, in other words).
I decided this change a couple of days ago. Since I want to be teaching English, I think this is a better way because I will become sort of an expert in the English language, which will give me more cred to actually teach it to people. The change won't mess anything up for me. In fact, the Linguistic classes I am taking now will count towards some of my classes in the English Language program.
I am also minoring in TESOL. So with my major + my minor, I'm hoping to be done in 2 years (that's if I don't take breaks and bust my butt). And I plan on it because I want out. I need to be affecting lives all around the world already, you know?
I already want to get to this point:



No comments:
Post a Comment