Check out my travel blog: Latitude Adjustment

31 March 2010

Comforted.

So going to BYU, I've had to take some religion classes- which is part of the curriculum. And I have to say, I have learned so much from them.

I have never really been hardcore into my religion, but taking these religion classes have helped me out immensely in understanding things better. I can't say they've been my favorite classes though, but they are classes in which I've learned probably the most from (besides my Spanish class).

I've been going through a lot of things lately, and this semester I'm taking a Book of Mormon class.I feel like I chose to take this class subconciously because of what's been going on in my life. Sort of like something to comfort me. The class, mostly the teacher and the things he says and teaches, have helped me feel better/hopeful about things. Like, I feel so much better about myself when I walk out of his class.

The most recent example happened this past Tuesday.

If you don't know, the BYU "culture", or actually Mormon "culture" is something of its own. Like seriously, 95% of people are married some time between the age of 19 (for girls) to like 23. It's ridiculous. I'm 25, so since I've grown up in this culture it's been engrained in me that this is the norm. So at times it's something I've struggled with- "Wow, I'm 25 and I'm not even close to getting married... there's that 19 year old girl I know who's engaged. Gah, I hate her. What's wrong with me?? etc. etc." My mom's even told me things like "Dang Le, when I was your age I already had 2 kids!" Thanks, mom.

So on Tuesday the subject of marriage came up in class. And the professor basically explained how it is NOT the norm to be married so young. He goes "You guys realize that BYU has it's own culture, right? It's NOT normal outside of this to be married when you're 19, 20, etc. It's actually WEIRD if you are. The norm is NOT to be married until you're almost 30 or so.." and he went on and on. And the whole time I'm just nodding my head in agreement. Then at the end he says, "Wow, I don't know where all that came from, but I know someone in the room needed to hear that." And when he said that, I wanted to jump up and yell "ME!!" and give him a hug.

Life is crazy.

But anyway, I want to make it clear that I am ok with where I'm at. I don't dwell on me being 25 and unmarried anymore. I think kids get way too young and I feel bad that they haven't experienced life with as much potential as they could and actually becoming their own individual person before having to bring another person in their life. For me, I want all my stuff straight in my life before I start a family. There's still a ton of things I want to do in my life before I want to become a boring married person (hey- just keeping it real). Call it selfish, but I want to live my life to the fullest. If I find someone down enough to take the ride with me, then fine. But I am not going to settle for someone who's not the PERFECT one for me. I'm not going to be this submissive little girl stuck in a house all day. That ain't me. I need equality in everything in my life. I need a man who will treat me like the queen I am and who will cook, clean, wash dishes just as much as I will. And I won't settle for less. Straight up.

And I don't mean to offend anyone. This doesn't mean I'm disrespecting you or see you in a different light, but this is MY blog and I talk about things in a forward fashion. So if you're the type to get offended easily, I suggest you not read my blog. Because I'm just going to be talking like how I talk until forever.


That was my rant for the day.

1 comment:

  1. I AM a totally boring married person now... :( sorry. You needed to move up here earlier in my single days. haha
    ... no but really I am weird for being married already so you tell 'em Lele!!!!

    ReplyDelete