Check out my travel blog: Latitude Adjustment

28 August 2009

Excited.

Today I went to the College of Humanities orientation.
A couple of things I want to point out:
1. I felt a little weird when we started off with a prayer. Then I remembered where I was at. It's just something I have to get used to.
2. I was probably the oldest student there. They asked who were Freshman and like 90% of the room raised their hands. The rest were transfer students like me, but they still all looked so young.
3. And of course I have to point this one out as well: I was the only, and I'm not exaggerating because I checked, non full-white person in the room. Made me feel like a minority and special (even though I am a minority everywhere I go because I am of mixed race). But it's something I will get used to as well.
(*on a side note- I know race doesn't exisit and there's no such thing.)


So anyway, on to why I am excited...
During part of the orientation, we got to break off into different classrooms according to our major. So me and my fellow soon-to-be linguists went off to a room and met with one of the head people of the Linguistics department, who was Autrailian and I could've heard him talk allll day. There were only 8 of us there. (A reason I like Linguistics- not a lot of people choose it as a major. This enables students to become closer with their professors and with each other. Is the latter a good thing? I don't know- only if they're cool. And none of them really seemed cool, although there was a girl who was from Moorpark. Doesn't mean she's cool, but at least she's from Cali). ANYWAY, so the guy talks to us about the whole Linguistics program, what we can do with a degree in Linguistics, all the different programs within the Linguistics major, getting us all pumped up, talking about the different minors. When he started talking about the TESOL minor (which I will be doing), I was all ears. He too had minored in TESOL and he talked about his experiences. This is when I got all excited. I can not wait to start teaching abroad!!

Then after that, we went outside. There were tables set up all with different information pertaining to the College of Humanities. I see a table with "Study Abroad" and I head straight for it. The guy sitting there starts talking to me and asks what countires I'm interested in going to for study abroad. I told him anywhere Spanish-speaking. Turns out he's a Spanish major and the President of some Spanish thing on campus (I wasn't really paying attention because I was busy looking at all the different countries available for study abroad). He gives me the info sheets on Madrid and Guadalaraja. Then he starts to say, "And there's also a development internship you can do where you can go all throughout Central and South America..." and I stop him right there and I say, "That's EXACTLY what I want to do- go all throughout Central and South America..." So we start talking and he hands me the info sheet on that.

So now I want to do that, but I don't know if my funds will permit me. But I really want to do it. It'd be really good for me and get some major experience on my plate, and look really good on my resume.

If I don't do that internship, then at least I'll get to see more of Central America & South America after I graduate. I can't wait.

I'm excited for school to start!!

No comments:

Post a Comment