Check out my travel blog: Latitude Adjustment

23 August 2009

A week in review.

I've been in this valley of Mormons, mountains, lakes and desert called Utah for a week and 3 days now. I must say, I don't have that much to complain about so far. But the little much I do have to complain about are as follows: it's hot, it's dry, people can't drive out here, the roads are pretty horrible (my poor car), and I saw a pregnant lady smoking a cigarette outside the WalGreens by my house (and yes- she was pregnant- not fat.).

But the things I am glad to see and/or happy about out here in Utah are as follows: There's The Counter in SLC (click on the link for more info. They have one in Santa Monica that we used to go to. It's basically the bomb!), I saw a Fuddruckers in Provo, I just found out yesterday that there are Thai restaurants here, the air is so much fresher here, the mountains are pretty (and I'm sure prettier when it snows), North American Museum of Ancient Life is up the freeway (it has the world's largest display of mounted dinosaurs!), and finally, I live around the corner from a shopping center that includes a SONICS! (Hm, why are most of these about food? Ah well.)

Anyway, I'm sure my lists will expand and change on both sides of complaints and non-complaints about Utah.

We drove up Thursday (August 13th) after my dad got off work. I drove my car while my parents drove the van with all my stuff in it.

This was my room back home all packed up:


The van with all my crap:

We got into Las Vegas at 7pm. We stayed overnight with my Uncle and his family there. They're always a good time. My Uncle took me for a ride in his 800-horse power Coupe. It was about 10pm and the thing is LOUD. I'm sure his neighbors didn't appreciate it very much, but I know I did!

My Uncle John's coupe:




We got up the next morning and headed out to Utah. We got to my grandma's in about 5 hours, but those 5 hours felt like FOREVER because that drive from Vegas to Utah is boring. I even almost fell asleep at the wheel. Not good. But hey, I made it. By Friday late afternoon, I already had gotten all my stuff unpacked and my room all set up.


Saturday my parents, grandma and I went running around. First to the Timpanogos Temple where my grandma works (and I probably messed that spelling up really bad). Then we went to a Filipino mini-mart (oh yeah- another thing on my non-complaint list) up towards Salt Lake. Because you know I can't go without my Filipino food. Then later in the afternoon, we had a fam bam get together at a park. I have a lot of cousins who live out here with their families. That was fun to see everyone and all their kids.

My grandma, me and my mom:


You can't see it very well (because these are just cell phone pics), but there's a G in the mountains for Grove in Pleasant Grove (where I live now). I'll get better pictures soon.

The new street I live on:
My new home:


Sunday morning my parents left. Surprisingly, no tears were shed. I was really sad, but I had to play it off like I was okay. So did my parents. I knew they were sad to leave their baby, but I know they're happy and excited for me at the same time. I miss them and my brother like mad, but I know they're all just a phone call away. Homesick? Not yet. I think I'll be just dandy. Until the snow hits. We'll see what happens then.

Later on that morning, I headed down to Spanish Fork to go to church with Marci & Kenny. I got to ditch Sunday school and Relief Society and stay in the nursery because they're nursery teachers. That was pretty cool. They have an awesome calling- play with toys and eat snacks. After church, we ate dinner at Melissa's. All her kids are growing up so fast!

Britain's funny face:

Teaching Ari how to pose:
Peace signs:
Ari's funny face:

All week I have basically been trying to find a job and handle some school business. Since I'm doing all this (especially the school business stuff) by myself, I feel so old and grown up. And I guess I am, espcially when I start school and will be one of the oldest ones besides the teacher in my classes. But you know what, I'm over that. It's all good. It's better to be doing this now than never doing it at all.

I went to the BYU campus on Monday to check it out. While strolling around, I felt pretty official. To enhance the feeling, I even went to get my BYU student ID, complete with my picture and everything. But really, the campus is big. And nice. And I am actually excited to start classes on August 31st.

The Y.


Fortunatley, I do have some friends already here. I got to meet up with my friend Terry up in Salt Lake for lunch on Tuesday. We got to hang out and catch up and do whatever it is old homies do. And from our group of friends, two more are moving up to Utah in October, so we're excited about that.

This weekend was fun. I'm glad my BFF Marci and her fam are out here as well. They gave me something to do because I was worried I'd have nothing to do my first weekend in Utah. Friday night Marci "made" me play softball on her team because they were short some people. It's a co-ed league and her team is mostly comprised of her family members. I hadn't played softball since I was a sophomore in high school, so I was worried I'd look like a total fool out there. But I didn't do too bad. I actually caught a pop fly and didn't strike out. It was just so FREAKING HOT! And dry. Bleh. But it was really fun despite that! After the game, we got something to eat and drink then we played tennis. That was fun, too (minus the mosquito bites). I like being active. But with other people because the more the merrier (that saying is so true). Then I spent the night at Marci & Kenny's and watched a movie.

Then yesterday I went with Marci & Kenny up to Ogden for a pool party. We were celebrating Marci & her sister-in-law Jaime's birthdays. The sun was blazing, so a pool party was definitely what we all needed. The rest of Marci's fam bam came up, including Melissa and all her kids. They're always fun! We stayed there until about 9:30pm- so it was an all-day affair and it was a total blast! With yummy food, which is always appreciated in my book =).

Marci & Jaime's cake:

Marci in the stoller & Ari.









I came to Utah as an open book. So far, Utah is not that bad. I'm liking it so far. I still remain an open book. I don't know what's going to happen when school starts, nor do I have any expectations. I'm just going to do my thang and just do me. I'm sure everything else is bound to fall into place.

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to your post. Utah is so different than cali, But I like it in a way. Hopefully we can get together soon.

    ReplyDelete