So being an English Language major/"linguist", I often find myself listening to the way people speak.
Having been in Utah for about five months now, I have noticed two big differences between the way people speak here and the way we do it in Cali.
First thing I noticed:
You know how when you accidentally bump into someone, or accidentally give a wrong thing to someone, etc. and you say "Whoops, sorry" (or something which includes "sorry")? Well, when you say sorry in situations like that, Utahans will reply with "Oh, you're fine." EVERY time. But I have only noticed women saying this. I have yet to hear a male say it. But, say "sorry" to a female here, and their reply will be "No, you're fine" or "Oh, you're fine." Especially if they've lived here for a while and/or were born & raised here.
When someone says sorry to me, I say either "it's ok" or "it's all good" or "no worries". I gotta pay attention to what the males say out here in these situations.
Second thing I noticed:
When you go inside a fast-food restaurant, you know the cashier will ask you "For here or to go?" Well here, they ask "To stay or to go?" And the first time I heard it, I was thrown off, like no lie. It took me a while to answer, I was like "What did she just say???" to myself. And I always answer "for here." Everytime. I will not assimilate! lol. I know it's not a big difference between "here" and "stay", but hearing it for the first time, it kinda throws you off.
Anyway, hopefully I will not be talking like no Utahn. No, no hopefully- I WILL NOT. lol. I gotta keep it Cali all day, err'day! =)
Speaking of Cali, I'm going home Valentine's Day/President's day weekend!! Yaaayyyyy! I can't wait!
OMG...ya know what??!! You are absolutely right. The other day I had a couple from Utah here and we both sort of almost bumped into each other where I went exactly..."whoops, sorry", and her reply was "oh, you're fine". I thought it was weird because I knew I was fine, nothing happend, so why would she know how I felt?!...but NOW it makes so much sense!!!! Gotta love differences like that.
ReplyDeleteOh apparently..."no problem" is an American thing. I said this once to a guest (a Brit living in Australia) and his reaction was "American, huh?!". Whoops... ;)
Have fun going home. Say hi to your family then :D