The current issue of the tuition hikes is happening all over, not just in California. My school has even hiked up its tuition, but it is not as bad as other schools, excuse me- STUDENTS- everywhere else suffering from such ridiculousness. When I heard about all the protests going on in the California schools, it made me happy to see students doing something about it. The thing is though- there needs to be more involvement for such a big issue to be resolved. More involvement and more persistence and more resistance.
Here are some pics from the protests in California:
Now, there was a recent protest in London. Students protesting the tuition hikes and government cuts in education. And I'd like to compare how THEY handled it-- and notice the difference:
Which one do you think is more effective? I mean, in California- I'm sure the students' point was heard and seen, and I'm sure the next day they went about their business. They stood around holding signs. Not that there is anything wrong with that because I've done that, too. It's better than just sitting on your butt doing NOTHING.
BUT, take the way the Londons' students handled it- and I applaud them. You know they mean business, you know they're not going to quit until something is done. Sometimes you gotta break stuff to wake them up.
Protests in other countries are always so much more intense than the ones here in the USA. My bucketlist item #5 is to participate in a protest in another country. And it's going to happen. Multiple times in multiple countries.
I think California students need to take a lesson from London. And do it big.




Big isn't always good though. :(
ReplyDeleteI know people who had to buy 6 new cars in a year because of protests. Insurance didn't cover a thing. So it's got its bad and good sides. Though, yes, sitting silently on the floor doesn't help either. So lame. ;)