Check out my travel blog: Latitude Adjustment

22 January 2012

Cucumber Tomato Salad

When we lived in Ecuador, we had access to fresh fruit and vegetables everyday because they had fresh, open-air markets everywhere. And everything was CHEAP. We spent about $10 a week on groceries (oh how I miss it!!). Since I'm not a big fan of vegetables, I had to be creative and find ways to make vegetables eatable for me.

I experimented one day, and came up with this cucumber and tomato salad (which are two vegetables I don't mind eating). I made it today to bring to a BBQ we went to for the NFL playoffs (it's ok 49ers, we'll get 'em next season!!)

It's really easy to make. And you can adjust the amounts according to how many mouths you're feeding and what you personally like (duh).

Ingredients:

4 large cucumbers
5 tomatoes (I used Roma tomatoes)
3 stems of green onion
Cilantro (the amount is really just subjective- I like a lot of cilantro, so I used about a handful of stems)
1/2 C. chopped garlic
Garlic salt to taste
Salt to taste
2 C. plain yogurt (more or less- depending how liquidy you like it)

Directions:
It's simple. Chop up your veggies. Put everything in a bowl. Add the yogurt and salts. And that's it. It's a little better if you chill it in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight (but it's not necessary).

We like to eat it with crackers (like Saltines). My hubby likes it with garlic bread. Or just eat it by itself!

Here's a picture of some leftovers (sorry- I forgot to take a picture before people started eating!):

No comments:

Post a Comment