Check out my travel blog: Latitude Adjustment

31 January 2012

Marbled nails- 1st try

Following all these nail art people on Instagram has really made me addicted to nailpolishing (I just made that word up- yes). I saw my first picture on there of nails with marbled nailpolish, and I wanted to give it a try. So last night, my mom agreed to be my guinea pig.

I googled "how to do marble affect on nails" and found some great sites. I didn't know how cool the method was. It seemed simple, but I think I need some more practice to get it right.

Here are the two websites I used:
http://wowprettynails.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-do-nail-marbling-effect.html
http://www.theidearoom.net/2011/07/water-marble-nails.html

I highly recommend NOT skipping the steps to protect the cuticles & fingers. I used Scotch tape for my mom's fingers. Just put a strip above the cuticle and the sides. You will probably have to do some clean up on a little bit of the skin with some nailpolish remover. But if you skip this step altogether, you will have a mess!!

Then you will need to choose your colors. As you can see above, I used a purple for my mom's base coat (use a base coat- if you miss any spots when you marble, your base coat will show up instead!) My mom sells Avon, so I have a lot of Avon nailpolish. It's cheap and I like it. I chose 4 different colors:


Then follow the steps on the websites. You basically drop your colors in a cup of water, use a toothpick of some sort to make a design, dip your finger in the water, cleaning around the nail while the nail is submerged, and pull it out- the polish will be on the nail (hopefully marbled!). I messed up on a few of the nails, but practice will make perfect!


Thanks to my mom for letting me experiment on her.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't try doing this. but I guess it is fun and absolutely look pretty on your nail...
    by the way, Thank you very much to participate about tagged: random fact I was also happy to answer those question I got from other bloggers . wow, your so lucky to go 14 countries, thats amazing.

    Thanks a lot :-) Arceli

    ReplyDelete